Professor & Head
Office: DoMS 111
Phone: 2257 4560
PhD in Industrial Engineering and Management from Indian Institute of Technology Madras, India (1990)
MS by Research from Indian Institute of Technology Madras, India (1987)
BE (Honours) from Anna University, Madras, India (1984
Teaching and research interests
- Fundamentals of Operations Research
- Advanced Operations Research
- Production and Operations Management
- Supply Chain Management
Research interests and supervision:
- Cellular Manufacturing Systems
- Flexible Manufacturing Systems
- O.R. Applications
- Srinivasan, G., Narendran, T.T. and Mahadevan, B. (1990) An assignment model for the part families problem in Group Technology. International Journal of Production Research, Vol.28, No.1, 145 152. (Times Cited = 51)
- Srinivasan G. and Narendran T.T. (1991) GRAFICS A nonhierarchical clustering algorithm for Group Technology International Journal of Production Research, Vol 29, no 3, 463 478. (Times Cited = 41)
- Ganesh M.V. and Srinivasan G. (1994) A Heuristic method for the Cell formation Problem in Group Technology. Computers and Industrial Engineering. Vol 26, 193 201. (Times Cited = 2)
- Srinivasan G. (1994) A Clustering algorithm for machine cell formation in Group Technology using minimum Spanning Trees. International Journal of Production Research Vol 32, No 9, 2149 2158. (Times Cited = 10)
- Venkat Ramana Murthy Ch and Srinivasan G. (1995) Fractional Cell Formation in Group Technology. International Journal of Production Research. Vol 33, no 5, 1323-1337. (Times Cited = 4)
- Hemant Kumar N S and Srinivasan G. (1995) Predicting the Quality of the final product using Multivariate Statistical Techniques - A case study - Computers and Industrial Engineering, Vol 29, Nos 1-4, 37-42. (Times cited = 1)
- Sekar Vembu and Srinivasan G. (1995) Heuristics for Operator Allocation and Sequencing in Just-in-time flowline Manufacturing Cell - Computers and Industrial Engineering, Vol 29, Nos 1-4, 309-314. (Times Cited =2)
- Srinivasan G. (1995) Cell Formation using Zero-one Matrices - Experiences with Real-life data and Inferences - Computers and Industrial Engineering, Vol 29, Nos 1-4, 303-308.. (Times Cited = 2)
- Sudhir V, Muraleedharan V.R. and Srinivasan G (1996) Integrated Solid Waste Management in Urban India: A Critical Operational Research Framework - accepted for publication in Socio Economic Planning Sciences. Vol 30. 163-181. (Times Cited = 1)
- Hemant Kumar N S and Srinivasan G (1996) A genetic algorithm for job shop scheduling - A case study. Computers in Industry. Vol 31. 155-160. (Times Cited = 4)
- Bhaskar K and Srinivasan G (1997) Static and Dynamic operator allocation problems in Cellular Manufacturing Systems. International Journal of Production Research, Vol 35, 3467-3481 (Times Cited = 2)
- Sekar Vembu and Srinivasan G (1997) Heuristics for Operator allocation and sequencing in product-line-cells with manually operated machines. Computers and Industrial Engineering. Vol 32. 265-279. (Times Cited =1)
- Sudhir V, Srinivasan G and Muraleedharan V R (1997) Planning for sustainable solid waste management in Urban India. System Dynamics review, Vol 13 223-246.
- Srinivasan G . A note on 'Application of simulated annealing to a linear model for the formulation of machine cells in Group Technology'. International Journal of Production Research. 36, 1445-1447 (1998). (Times Cited = 1)
- G.Srinivasan and Emory W Zimmers, Jr (1998) Fractional Cell Formation - Issues and Approaches. International Journal of Industrial Engineering- Theory, Applications and Practice. Vol. 5, 257-264.
- C.A Marangos, V. Govande, G. Srinivasan and E.W Zimmers Jr. Algorithms to minimize completion time variance in a two machine flowshop. Computers and Industrial Engineering.35 101-104 (1998)
- Sekar Sundararajan, Srinivasan G, Walt O Staehle and Emory W Zimmers, Jr. Application of a Decision Support System for Operational Decisions. Computers and Industrial Engineering.35 141-144 (1998)
- K. Gowrishankar, Chandrasekharan Rajendran and G. Srinivasan Flow shop scheduling algorithms for minimizing the completion time variance and the sum of squares of completion time deviations from a common due date, European Journal of Operational Research, Volume 132, Issue 3, 1 August 2001, Pages 643-665
- O Mahesh and G Srinivasan (2002) Incremental cell formation considering alternative machines, International Journal of Production Research,Vol 40, 10, pp. 3291-3310
- G Viswanath Kumar and G Srinivasan (to appear) A Branch and Bound Algorithm for minimizing Completion Time Variance on Single Processor, Accepted for publication in Computers and Operations Research.
- O Mahesh and G Srinivasan (to appear) Pilot cell formation problem to minimize total work content. Accepted for publication in International Journal of Industrial Engineering - Theory, Applications and Practice.
Chapter in Handbook
- Authored a chapter on “Matrix methods for clustering in Cell formation” along with Dr T. T. Narendran in the “Handbook on Cellular Manufacturing” published by Wiley International Ltd, 1999
- Srinivasan G and Narendran T.T. Group Technology Layout using Multidimensional Scaling International conference on signals and systems, Tirupati, India, Dec 1990
- Sudhir V, Muraleedharan V R and Srinivasan G. Understanding Urban Solid Waste Management: A Systems Approach - 38th Annual Meeting of the International Society of System Sciences, Asilomar, California, Dec 1994.
- Sanjay K Nambiar and Srinivasan G. Cell Formation using Zero-one matrices - Some new insights International Conference on Stochastic Models, Optimization Techniques and Computer Applications, Coimbatore, India, Dec 1994.
- K. Gowrishankar and Srinivasan G. Heuristics for minimization of completion time variance in a flowshop. First International conference on Operations and Quantitative Management, Jaipur, January 1996.
- K. Gowrishankar and Srinivasan G. Minimization of completion time variance in flowshop scheduling, Production and Operations Management Society Conference, Miami, April 1997.
- Vinay Govande, Srinivasan G, Sekar Sundararajan and Emory W Zimmers Jr. Cellular Manufacturing - Current implementation issues and future directions, Strategic technologies for global manufacturing, Bethlehem, USA, April 1997.
- Emory W Zimmers Jr., Sekar Sundararajan, Ron Sedlak and G Srinivasan. Agile Maintenance Management, 14th International Maintenence Conference, Institute of Industrial Engineers, Atlanta, USA, August 1997.
- Keith Cowan, Vinay Govande, Srinivasan G and Emory W Zimmers, Jr. Analysis and development of Manufacturing cell design algorithms: A case study perspective, 2nd annual conference on Industrial Engineering Applications and practice, San Diego, USA, Nov 1997.
- K Gowrishankar, G Srinivasan, Minimizing Completion time variance in a two machine flowshop. Proceedings of the second International Conference on Operations and Quantitative Management, Ahmedabad, Jan 1999.
- Sekar Sundararajan, Walt Staehle, Emory W Zimmers, Srinivasan G, Scenario based approach to manpower planning and scheduling, Decision Sciences Institute Conference, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, Arkansas, USA, 1999.
- Sanjiv E. S and Srinivasan G Minimizing completion time variance in multimachine scheduling problems. IFAMS 2000 – International Conference of Intelligent Flexible Autonomous Manufacturing Systems. Coimbatore January 2000.
- Viswanath Kumar and Srinivasan G Static Jobshop scheduling algorithm using Taboo Search. International Conference on Operations Research and game Theory, Madras, January 2000.
- G.Srinivasan An Improved Search Algorithm to Minimize Inter Cell Moves in Cellular Manufacturing. World Symposium on Cellular Manufacturing, Puerto Rico, March 2000.
- G Srinivasan and Nikhil Kashyab Balaraman New Simulated Annealing based algorithms for sequencing jobs in a flowshop for different objectives, 1st International Conference on Logistics and Supply Chain Management, Coimbatore, August 6-8 2001.
- G Srinivasan, B Balabhaskar and V Karthik Minimizing squared deviation of completion times about a common due date – algorithms and heuristics. 1st International Conference on Logistics and Supply Chain Management, Coimbatore, August 6-8 2001.
- Kamakshi.M & Srinivasan.G Heuristic Algorithms for Fractional Cell Formation using Binary and Sequence incidence Data, ICORD, December 2002.
- Mahesh.O & Srinivasan.G Multi-Objectives For Incremental Cell Formulation Problem . ICORD, December 2002.
- Srinivasan G and Narendran T.T. Valuation of Convertible Debentures A Quadratic Programming Approach 20th Annual Convention of Operational Research Society of India, Pune, Jan.,1988.
- Srinivasan G and Narendran T.T. A heuristic method to solve machine loading problems in flexible manufacturing systems 3rd Annual Convention of Indian Institution of Production Engineers, Bombay, Nov.,1988.
- Srinivasan G and Narendran T.T. A comparative study of algorithms for cellular manufacturing 22nd Annual Convention of the O.R.S.I., Kharagpur, Dec., 1989.
- Srinivasan G and Narendran T.T. Ill structured matrices in Group Technology" 23rd Annual Convention of O.R.S.I at Delhi, December 1990.
- Srinivasan G. A Nonhierarchical Clustering Algorithm for Cell formation in Group Technology using Minimum Spanning Trees 24th Annual Convention of O.R.S.I. at Bangalore, Dec 1991.
- Srinivasan K and Srinivasan G. A Vehicle Routing based algorithm for the machine part grouping problem in Group Technology 24th Annual Convention of O.R.S.I. at Bangalore, Dec 1991.
- Ganesh M.V and Srinivasan G A Heuristic Algorithm for the P Median Cell Formation Problem 25th Annual Convention of the O.R.S.I at Ahmedabad, December 1992.
- Venkatramana Murthy Ch and Srinivasan G. Cellular Manufacturing with Remainder Cells 25th Annual Convention of the O.R.S.I at Ahmedabad, December 1992.
- Sudhir V, Muraleedharan V R and Srinivasan G. Understanding Urban Solid Waste Management : A methodological inquiry - 26th Annual Convention of the O.R.S.I at Bhubaneshwar, Dec 1993.
- Sundara Raman V S and Srinivasan G Operator Allocation and Sequencing in Cellular Manufacturing Systems Ninth National Convention of Production Engineers at Tiruchirapalli, October 1994.
- Subramanya K N and Srinivasan G. Shop Floor Control in a Cellular Manufacturing System - A Case Study - 36th National Convention of IIIE, Bangalore, October 1994.
- Meenakshi R and Srinivasan G. Machine Cell and Part Family formation in Group Technology using Chernoff Faces - 27th Annual Convention of the O.R.S.I at Calcutta, December 1994.
- Hemant Kumar N.S and Srinivasan G. A Genetic Algorithm for Job shop Scheduling - 27th Annual Convention of the O.R.S.I at Calcutta, December 1994.
- Sekar Vembu and Srinivasan G. Operator Allocation and Sequencing in a just-in-time Production system - 27th Annual Convention of the O.R.S.I at Calcutta, December 1994.
- Bhaskar K. and Srinivasan G. Cell Management System - A Decision Support System for Operator Allocation and Scheduling in Cellular Manufacturing Systems - 28th Annual Convention of the O.R.S.I. at Delhi December 1995.
- Gowrishankar K. and Srinivasan G. Flow shop scheduling with batches - 28th Annual Convention of the O.R.S.I at Delhi December 1995.
- Bhaskar K. and Srinivasan G. Dynamic Operator Scheduling in Just-in-time Cellular manufacturing Systems - 28th Annual Convention of the O.R.S.I at Delhi. December 1995.
- Srinivas Pramod J and Srinivasan G. Minimizing Squared deviations of completion times about a common due date. 22nd Annual Ramanujam Day . IIT Madras December 1998.
- G. Srinivasan and V.V.Krishnavatharam Cellular Manufacturing – Theoretical Issues In Solving Real-Life Cell Formation Problems. Second Operations Management Workshop, Bangalore, December 1998.
- G Srinivasan and Binoy Bose – Models for Arrival Management in a warehouse. Presented in the Fifth Operations Management Conference held in Mumbai – December 22-23, 2001
- G Srinivasan, V Balachandran and M Ravi Pratap Constrained Shortest Path problem in Convoy Scheduling – Algorithms and Application. Presented in the Fifth Operations Management Conference held in Mumbai – December 22-23, 2001
- O. Mahesh and G. Srinivasan, Algorithms for incremental cell formation problems, Proceedings of Symposium on Manufacturing Excellence IIT Madras January 2002, pp. 183-184.
Research Based Industrial Consulting
- A project on Software for Life Cycle Cost Estimation for Aircraft has been completed for CASSA, DRDO, Bangalore. (Jan 1996-July 1996)
- A project on Software for Statistical Analysis has been completed for CASSA, DRDO Bangalore (Oct 1996 – May 1997)
- A project on Software for Fault tree analysis has been completed for CASSA, DRDO Bangalore. (October 1998-May 1999)
- A project on Modules for convoy scheduling has been completed for CASSA, DRDO Bangalore. (Sep 2000 - Dec 2000)
- Consultant for M/S Bharat Dynamics Ltd. Hyderabad during the period June 1 1993 to 31 May 1994. Involved in a project on Decision Support Systems for Assembly and Component Production for Bharat Dynamics Ltd. Hyderabad
- Retainer Consultant for TVS Infotech Ltd. During the period Jan 2001-Jan 2002
Sponsored Research Projects
- A project on Cell Management System has been completed for M/s Lucas TVS Ltd. Padi, Madras (Jun-Sep 1994)
- A project on Scheduling operations for sheet metal work has been undertaken for Quanteck Systems, Madras.(Jun-Sep 1996)
- A project on Methods Improvement and Layout has been completed for Hallmark Industries, Madras. (Jun-Sep 1996)
- A project on Design of Cellular Manufacturing Systems has been completed L&T McNeil Madras.(Jun-Dec 1996)
- A project on Software for Operations Management has been completed for Midas Marketing and Management Services, Kottayam.(July 1998 – May 1999)
- A project on Manpower Assessment has been completed for Brakes India Ltd. (Co-investigator – Dr T T Narendran) (March 1999- Jan 2000)
- A project titled Optimization of Warehouse Storage Space has been completed for TAKE Solutions, Chennai. (April 2001 – July 2001)
- A project titled Demand Planning has been completed for TAKE Solutions, Chennai.(Oct 2001-Feb 2002)
- Development of a Decision Support System for Aggregate Planning and Scheduling of Cellular Manufacturing Systems has been approved by the Ministry of Human Resources Development, Govt. of India, under support for Research and Development in Institutions of Engineering and Technology. Budget allotted - Rs 6 lakhs. Project duration is 2 years (1994-1996)
- A Decision Support System for Cell Formation in Group Technology under the Young Scientist Scheme of the Ministry of Science and Technology, Govt. of India. Budget allotted - Rs 1.45 lakhs. Project duration is 2 years (1994-1996).
- Joint Coordinator for A Project titled A Decision Support System for Earthmoving Operations under the Interdisciplinary projects Scheme of IIT Madras.
- Joint Coordinator for a project on Software for Synchronous Manufacturing under Indo-German project of BMBF. Co-investigator – Dr C Rajendran.
Contributions to Academic and other administrative work
- Awarded the BOYSCAST fellowship of the Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India for Advanced training in Total Quality Management for the period Jan-Dec 1997.
- Visited Lehigh University, USA as a Visiting Scholar under the BOYSCAST fellowship during Jan-Dec 1997.
Short term programmes conducted
- Management Representative for ISO9000 at IIT Madras- Responsibilities include planning and implementation of ISO9000 in the various technical and administrative support units of the institute, planning and coordinating internal and external audits, laisoning with external agencies, Quality Circles etc.
- Referee for International Journal of Production Research, European Journal of Operational Research, Computer Integrated Manufacturing, Computers and Industrial Engineering and Opsearch.
- Faculty Advisor for the Masters Program in Industrial Management offered in the Humanities and Social Sciences Dept. I.I.T. Madras for the following periods: July 1991 July 1993, July 1998 -July 2000.
- Served as a member in the Board of the Industrial Consultancy and Sponsored Research Centre at IIT Madras (1994-95 and 1997-98). Currently member in the Editorial committee of NEWSTECH, a publication of the Centre (July 1995 onwards).
- Faculty Counsellor in the Guidance and Counselling Unit of I.I.T. Madras (July 1993 onwards).
- Member in the Library Advisory Committee at IIT Madras (July 95- June 96).
- Coordinated a two day executive development programme on “Cellular Manufacturing Experience” for practicing managers on July 1 and 2, 1995. (Co-coordinator : Dr T.T.Narendran)
- Coordinated a one-day Technology Appreciation programme on “Synchronous Manufacturing - A new approach to job scheduling” for industrial associates of I.T.T on September 6, 1996.
- Coordinated a eight week “Small Industries Management Assistant’s programme” between June 15 and September 18 1998, sponsored by Small Industries Development bank of India. (Co-Coordinator: Dr S Jayachandran)
- Coordinated a eight week “Small Industries Management Assistant’s programme” between June 14 and September 17 1999, sponsored by Small Industries Development bank of India. (Co-Coordinator: Dr S Jayachandran)
- Coordinated a two day workshop on “Improving manufacturing system performance through Simulation” jointly with Aspire Systems (P) Ltd. 23-24 July 1999
- Coordinated a three day workshop on “Managing Operations in Small Industry “as a Skill cum Technology Upgradation program (STUP) during 2-4 February 2000
- Coordinated a five day QIP course on “Recent Trends in Production Management” for Engineering College teachers during 26-30 June 2000
- Coordinated a eight week “Small Industries Management Assistant’s programme” between June 11 and September 12 2001, sponsored by Small Industries Development bank of India. (Co-Coordinator: Dr R Madhumathi)
- Coordinated a one-day Technology Appreciation programme on “Supply Chain Management” for industrial associates of IIT on April 23, 2002.
- Conducted a two day training programme on JIT Manufacturing for 1st Silicon, Kuching, Malaysia on July 22-23 2002.
- Invited to deliver special lectures in Cellular Manufacturing at Indian Institutes of Technology at Kanpur and Delhi, Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore, Gujarat University, University of Texas at Austin, USA and Lehigh University, USA., REC Trichy.
- Conducted in house training programmes in Cellular Manufacturing for Industry (M/S Durametallic, M/S TAFE Ltd, M/S Brakes India Ltd. and LTM Ltd.)
- Delivered guest lectures in Management Development Programmes on Cellular and Flexible Manufacturing Systems, Project Management and Operations Research Applications to Manufacturing Management.
- Invited to chair sessions in the following national and international conferences:
- 28th Annual Convention of the Operational Research society of India, Delhi Dec 1995.
- Second International Conference on Industrial Engineering Applications and practice, San Diego, November 1997.
- National Conference on Intelligent Manufacturing Systems - A technology watch -Coimbatore, February 1998.